Grayback, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Grayback is on Farm Road 1763 just south of its junction with Farm Road 1811, fifteen miles southeast of Vernon in south central Wilbarger County. Much of the nearby land was bought up by the Waggoner Ranch during the 1880s, when settlement began in the area. Local oil discoveries about 1920 produced a regional boom, prompting oilmen to establish the Grayback post office near Beaver Creek. The community's population reached a reported peak of fifty during the 1950s before leveling off to twenty-five. The Grayback post office was discontinued in the mid-1950s. The rural community was sometimes referred to as Rock Crossing, a now-extinct oil community located several miles east of Grayback. The Phillips Petroleum Company had a camp at that site and built several houses for employees there in the mid-1920s. A school founded there about 1927 lasted for a short time. County maps made in the 1980s did not show the Rock Crossing community but indicated two businesses, a church, and a community center at Grayback, where the population was still reported as twenty-five through 2000.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Grayback, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grayback-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Grayback
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1358356
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Associated Names

Rock Crossing

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.99064560°
  • Longitude: -99.17424200°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2009