Great Southwest Railroad


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: October 26, 2020


The Great Southwest Railroad, Incorporated, was a terminal and switching company serving the Great Southwest Industrial District in Arlington and Grand Prairie, midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. The company was chartered on May 7, 1957, and began operations in May 1959. In December 1960 the Texas and Pacific and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroads each purchased 45 percent of the Great Southwest stock from the Great Southwest Corporation, the railroad's parent company. In 1985 the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, successor to the Texas and Pacific, purchased the stock held by the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific and the Great Southwest Corporation, a purchase which gave the Missouri Pacific 100 percent ownership. In 1987 the Great Southwest with its twenty-two miles of track was merged into the Missouri Pacific.

Places:
  • North Texas
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Great Southwest Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/great-southwest-railroad.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
October 26, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: