Green DeWitt, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 14, 2020


The Green DeWitt community is about eight miles southeast of Cuero and west of the Guadalupe River in central DeWitt County. A school that was later to become the Green DeWitt school was established on the Amsler survey near Heard Bridge and called Calhoun, after Sam and John Calhoun, who bought land in 1856. The schoolhouse of native timber was built in 1870 and was later replaced by a larger frame building nearer the public road. Church services were also held in the school. By 1894 many families had moved away, the church had been discontinued, and the school had been moved three miles south to the center of the Green DeWitt survey. When the building burned in 1929, a new structure was built for the one-teacher rural school, which operated until 1950. In 1984 the school building served as a community center for the surrounding area.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Green DeWitt, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/green-dewitt-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 14, 2020

Place
Green DeWitt
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Associated Names

Calhoun School