Green Hill, TX (Titus County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Green Hill (Greenhill), on Farm Road 2152 some 6½ miles northwest of Mount Pleasant in central Titus County, originated in the 1850s. When a post office was established there in 1857 it was named for E. H. Green, pastor of the local Presbyterian church. The post office closed in 1860, reopened in 1872, and closed again in 1907. In 1884 Green Hill had a population estimated at 100, several gristmills, and a church, school, gin, and sawmill. By 1933 Green Hill's population had declined to seventy-five, served by three businesses. No further population estimates were available for the community, which had one business, three churches and a cemetery in 1984.

John Marion Ellis II, The Way It Was: A Personal Memoir of Family Life in East Texas (Waco: Texian Press, 1983). Richard Loyall Jurney, History of Titus County (Dallas: Royal, 1961).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Green Hill, TX (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/green-hill-tx-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Green Hill
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378380
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Associated Names

Greenhill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.24817230°
  • Longitude: -94.99604750°
Population Counts
People Year
80 2014