John Fulton Green, military officer, the son of Nathaniel Otho and Martha (Fulton) Green of San Antonio, was born in Mexico in 1867. He grew up in the Irish Flats area of San Antonio, where he was educated at the German-English School and a private school conducted by W. C. Rote. Green attended the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University). During the 1880s and 1890s he was captain of Company B of the Belknap Rifles. In the late 1890s he served under the United States collector of customs as a river guard in Eagle Pass. When the Spanish-American War began Green, with other members of the Belknap Rifles, joined the First Texas Cavalry. He joined as a captain, but the unit disbanded after several months. He was then offered a commission as captain in the Texas Thirty-third Volunteer Infantry and served in the Philippines from 1899 to 1902. He was also commander of the Tagalog Scouts, some of whom spoke Spanish, a language in which Green was proficient. They participated in several engagements, and at the battle of San Jacinto Green was wounded. After the war he remained in the Philippines as assistant to the head of the Department of Police. Later he was acting chief of police in Manila. Green left the Philippines to join W. Morgan Shuster in Persia in 1911. Shuster was to set up the treasury in Persia, and he asked Green to serve as a gendarmerie instructor for the treasury. The force began with 800 men and increased to 1,100 under the charge of four American officers, one of which was Green. Due to illness Green left Persia early in 1912. He was not permitted to bring out Persian currency, so he purchased such objects as rugs, silver, brassware, tapestries, and oddities and shipped them to San Antonio. Green traveled in China during his service in the Philippines. He never married. He was baptized a Presbyterian. He had a unique understanding of animals; it is alleged that his well-mannered dogs sat at the table to eat, and his horses knelt so he could mount. His illness required hospitalization in Chicago, where he died on December 24, 1912. He was buried in San Antonio.