Herbert M. Greene, Dallas architect, was born in Huntington, Pennsylvania, in 1871. In 1876 the family moved to Peoria, Illinois, where he received his early schooling. He subsequently attended the University of Illinois and graduated with a bachelor of science degree in architecture in 1893. He practiced architecture briefly in Peoria before moving to Dallas in 1897. There he operated his own office until 1900, when he formed a partnership with James P. Hubbell under the name Hubbell and Greene. During the first two decades of the twentieth century Greene produced a large number of important works, including the Dallas News Building, the Scottish Rite Dormitory for Girls in Austin, the Dallas Trust and Savings Bank, Westminster and Oak Cliff Presbyterian churches in Dallas, Temple Emanu-El in Dallas, the Neiman-Marcus Building in Dallas, and Scottish Rite cathedrals in Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio, and Joplin, Missouri.
In 1918 Greene opened his own office under the name Herbert M. Greene Company. In 1922 he was chosen by the Board of Regents of the University of Texas to succeed Cass Gilbert as university architect. Over the course of the next decade he designed a number of buildings for the Austin campus in the prevailing Mediterranean-influenced Beaux-Arts style, among them Garrison Hall, Littlefield Dormitory, the Biology Building, Gregory Gymnasium, the Chemistry Building, and Waggener Hall. In 1923 Greene formed a partnership with Edwin Bruce LaRoche, a Cornell-trained architect who had worked in New York before moving West. Greene and LaRoche continued to attract a large number of commissions, and in 1926 they decided to add another designer. After an extensive search, Greene's choice fell on Minnesota native George Leighton Dahl. Dahl quickly became a full partner, and in 1928 the firm's name was changed to Greene, LaRoche, and Dahl.
Significant projects from Greene's later years include the Dallas National Bank, the Titche-Goettinger Company store building, and the Volk Store building in Dallas; the WFAA broadcasting station near Grapevine; and the Medical Laboratory building at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. In the early 1930s Greene also collaborated with Paul Philippe Cret on the design and construction of the administration building and tower and many other buildings for the University of Texas in Austin.
Greene married Annie E. Williams in August 1894. He was a fellow of the American Institute of Architects and served as president of the Texas chapter. He was also an active member of the Masons, the Rotary Club, and the Westminster Presbyterian Church. He died while on a trip to Chicago on February 8, 1932, and was buried at Grove Hill Cemetery in Dallas.