Greenpond, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Greenpond (Green Pond), on Farm Road 1567 some nine miles southeast of Sulphur Springs in southeastern Hopkins County, was settled by Robert S. Lanier in 1870. A Baptist church was organized there in 1895. After 1900 the community had a school, which in 1905 enrolled fifty-three students. In the mid-1930s Greenpond had a business, school, church, and cemetery. Its school was later transferred to Como, and by the mid-1980s the community had only the church and cemetery and a number of widely scattered houses.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Greenpond, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/greenpond-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading