Greenview, TX


By: J. E. Jennings

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Greenview, a farming community three miles north of Bonanza in southwestern Hopkins County, was settled by Green Weaver in 1845. A school opened at the site in the 1850s. After 1900 Greenview had a public school, which in 1905 enrolled thirty-three. By 1946 the enrollment had fallen to fifteen. The school closed the following year. In 1916 a church was organized in the community; it later burned and was rebuilt. By the late 1940s Greenview had a church, two stores, a cemetery, and a number of widely scattered dwellings. Greenview still had a church and cemetery in the mid-1980s, and a new community center was built in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

J. E. Jennings, “Greenview, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/greenview-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Greenview
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378381
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hopkins County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.02233880°
  • Longitude: -95.71690460°
Population Counts
People Year
25 2009