The Greenville Herald-Banner, the daily newspaper of the Hunt county seat, began publication on October 21, 1956, after the merger of the city's two rival dailies, the Greenville Herald and the Greenville Banner. The Herald, Hunt County's oldest business institution, was founded on April 14, 1869, by John C. Bayne, who, for just over a year, edited the weekly newspaper. Although the Herald's offices burned in the fire that consumed the county courthouse and the west side of the city square in 1884, the newspaper continued publication from a new location on the rebuilt square. On September 1, 1890, editor Edwin W. Harris introduced Greenville's first daily newspaper, the Morning Herald; the original weekly Herald continued for some time. It changed owners a number of times before merging with the Banner. At the time of the merger, the Morning Herald was owned and edited by the family of W. C. Poole, a local cotton buyer who purchased a controlling interest in the daily on March 23, 1914. The Poole family made the newspaper a financial success and an influential local institution. Poole sold the Morning Herald to Harte-Hanks Communications on October 20, 1956.
The Greenville Banner began publication as the Independent Banner in 1882, when J. F. Mitchell purchased the Greenville Independent, established in 1875, from John C. Bayne, the founder of the Herald. Like the older newspaper, the Independent Banner, which soon became known as the Banner, began as a weekly. It became a daily, called the Greenville Evening Banner, on February 24, 1894, by which time R. C. Dial was the owner. Dial's evening newspaper competed successfully with the local morning daily. In December 1907 Dial sold the newspaper to Fred Horton, and it remained in his family until it was purchased by the Harte-Hanks syndicate on January 8, 1954.
Harte-Hanks merged the two papers in 1956. By 1960 the circulation stood at 9,280. Five years later the Herald Banner sold 10,210 copies daily and 10,353 on Sundays. Its circulation in 1970 reached 11,362. In 1990 the Greenville Herald-Banner was owned by Worrell Enterprises, Incorporated, and its circulation was 12,162 on weekdays and 12,947 on Sundays.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Ayer Directory of Publications (Philadelphia: Ayer Press, 1869-). W. Walworth Harrison, History of Greenville and Hunt County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed July 05, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
January 1, 1995
Most Recent Revision Date:
December 4, 2019