Griffith, TX (Ellis County)


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Griffith is on Farm Road 2258 and Boggy Branch, thirteen miles west of Waxahachie in western Ellis County. It was named for J. W. Griffith, an early settler, and became known as Griffith Switch when a spur track for the International-Great Northern Railroad was laid through the community in 1903. It served primarily as a cattle shipping point. By the 1930s Griffith had a population estimated at twenty-five and one business. Its population remained at that level until 1970, when no estimates were available. At that time Griffith had a store, a cotton gin, and a gas station. In 1990 its population was reported as ten. The population remained the same in 2000.

Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Griffith, TX (Ellis County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/griffith-tx-ellis-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Griffith
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378388
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Associated Names

-Switch

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.36930970°
  • Longitude: -97.07833930°
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until May 4, 2026
Adopted by:
Tina A. Griffith
Dedication Message:
In honor of T.R. Griffith and family