Grigsby, TX


By: D. R. Taylor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Grigsby is on State Highway 7 some fifteen miles southwest of Center in southwestern Shelby County. It was founded about 1905 and named for a Waterman Mill employee who built a tram to the site. A post office was opened in the community in 1905 with Rance E. Emmons as postmaster. By 1914 the community had an estimated population of 100. Its population declined in the 1920s and then remained at a relatively constant level. In 1946 Grigsby had a church, two stores, several residences, and a population of about fifty. In 1990 it had an estimated population of forty-five. The population remained unchanged in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

D. R. Taylor, “Grigsby, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grigsby-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Grigsby
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1358448
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.65517880°
  • Longitude: -94.39159270°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009