Grosvenor, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 6, 2014


Grosvenor, on Farm Road 1850 some sixteen miles northwest of Brownwood in western Brown County, was named for United States representative Charles H. Grosvenor of Ohio. A post office opened at the settlement in 1900, and by 1914 the community of fifty residents supported three stores. By 1940 it had one or two businesses, an elementary school, and forty-two residents. Its post office closed during the mid-1970s. In 1980 the estimated population of Grosvenor was thirty-one. Though the town was still shown on county highway maps, no population estimates were available in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Grosvenor, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grosvenor-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 6, 2014

Place
Grosvenor
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378390
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brown County
Associated Names

Bula

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.88236870°
  • Longitude: -99.15005760°
Population Counts
People Year
24 2009