Grounds, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Grounds was on Farm Road 2022 nine miles northeast of Crockett in north central Houston County. It was called Jones School House in the late 1850s and then was later named for John Grounds, an early settler who was buried at the community. During the mid-1930s Grounds had a church, a cemetery, two stores, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and in the early 1990s only the church, the cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses remained.

Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Grounds, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grounds-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading