Grovedale, TX

By: Rachel Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Grovedale, possibly also known as Groverdale, was a railroad switch near Caney Creek on the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway eight miles northeast of Bay City in northeastern Matagorda County. The community was probably founded when the railroad came through the area in 1902. Local sources report that in 1917 Grovedale had a population between fifty and 100. Several farms were all that appeared at Grovedale switch on the 1948 county highway map. Grovedale is not shown on the 1989 county highway map.

Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rachel Jenkins, “Grovedale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grovedale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading