The Groveton, Lufkin and Northern Railway Company was chartered on May 15, 1908, as the Texas Northern Railway Company, and the name was changed to Groveton, Lufkin and Northern on August 17, 1908. On December 1, 1908, the Groveton, Lufkin and Northern purchased twenty-one miles of railroad between Groveton and Vair from the Trinity County Lumber Company. The line had originally been built by James Stanley Joyce in 1900. In 1909 the railroad upgraded its tracks from its junction with the Missouri, Kansas and Texas in Groveton to Vair. The company also operated from Vair to Lufkin via trackage rights over the Texas South-Eastern Railroad. The first board of directors of the GL&N included Clarence R. Wharton, Hiram M. Garwood, D. J. Batchelder, J. C. Anderson, and L. T. Atwood. In 1926 the road owned three locomotives and 104 cars and reported passenger earnings of $8,000 and freight earnings of $233,000. When the main lumbermill in Atmar closed in 1931, earnings fell, and in 1932 the railroad was abandoned.