Guajoco, also known as Huajuco and as the Fort Ewell settlement, was eleven miles northeast of Encinal in south central La Salle County. It seems to have been a satellite of Fort Ewell, the military outpost established in 1852. When the fort was abandoned in 1854, the few people remaining moved to Guajoco, 1½ miles away. By 1871 about sixty people lived in or near the community, which had a number of houses, a saloon, a general store, and a stagecoach stop to accommodate travelers on the road from San Antonio to Laredo. The post office for mail addressed to Fort Ewell was located in Guajoco. After the International-Great Northern Railroad bypassed Guajoco, and the Fort Ewell post office closed in 1886, the community began to fade away.