Guffey, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 23, 2020


Guffey, on the Southern Pacific line two miles south of Beaumont in east central Jefferson County, received a post office in 1901, shortly after the Spindletop oil field was discovered. It was named for oilman and financier J. M. Guffey of Pittsburgh. Besieged by thousands of eager oilmen, speculators, and ne'er-do-wells, Guffey became a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. Although its post office was discontinued in 1925, Guffey continued for a time as a community after the oil boom subsided. It had an estimated 300 residents and four businesses during the mid-1930s. Its population declined substantially in subsequent years, and in the mid-1970s Guffey was marked on maps by an intensive concentration of oil wells and tank farms.

James Anthony Clark and Michel T. Halbouty, Spindletop (New York: Random House, 1952).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Guffey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/guffey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 23, 2020

Place
Guffey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378394
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jefferson County
Associated Names

Gladys

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.01882470°
  • Longitude: -94.08212270°