Guilford, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Guilford was in north central DeWitt County. It was named for Mrs. Guilford Whitsett Wofford, whose husband, Charles Wofford, operated the local store and donated land for a school in 1898. The settlement had a gin, and a Guilford post office operated from 1903 to 1905. The Clear Creek Methodist Church, four miles from the school, was active from 1885 to about 1935. The Guilford school was consolidated with the Lindenau school in 1942. Guilford was not labeled on the 1948 county highway map.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Guilford, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/guilford-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Guilford
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County