Gulf and Brazos Valley Railway

By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995

The Gulf and Brazos Valley Railway Company was chartered on December 29, 1897, by citizens of Henrietta and Mineral Wells to connect the two towns with the Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railway near Red River in Montague County, a distance of 110 miles. The initial capital was $110,000, and the business office was located at Peck City, a station seventeen miles west of Weatherford on the Texas and Pacific Railway. Members of the first board of directors included A. M. Lacaster from Jacksboro, T. R. Anderson of Waxahachie, W. A. Iguires, T. F. Berner, and W. E. Edwards from Henrietta, and H. M. Taylor, T. H. Hammon, and J. W. Conway of Mineral Wells. By 1900 eleven miles from Peck City to Mineral Wells was in operation but the owners were unable to continue construction. The railroad was sold by the sheriff of Parker County in January 1902 to satisfy a judgment obtained by construction laborers. A new company was organized in February 1902 without change of name, but operations were unsuccessful and the line abandoned by early 1903. The Gulf and Brazos Valley owned two locomotives and one combination passenger car.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Gulf and Brazos Valley Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995