The Gulf and West Texas Railway Company was chartered on August 13, 1927, to connect San Angelo and San Antonio, 250 miles apart. It was to use the Kerrville branch of the Southern Pacific to reach Kerrville and the Fredericksburg and Northern to reach Fredericksburg. Thereafter it was to build its own track to San Angelo. It also planned to lease a branch from San Antonio to Corpus Christi. The initial capital was $300,000. The principal place of business was San Antonio. Members of the first board of directors were R. W. Morrison, J. M. Bennett, and Albert Steves, Sr., of San Antonio; Robert Driscoll, Richard M. Kleberg, and W. W. Jones, of Corpus Christi; and W. C. Blanks, R. A. Hall, and John Y. Rust, of San Angelo. The company was sold to the Southern Pacific in 1930, but the project was abandoned due to the Great Depression.