Gum Spring Mill, TX


By: Daniel P. Greene

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gum Spring Mill, sixteen miles northwest of New Braunfels in northern Comal County, was established in 1850, when a sawmill was built there to cut cypress on the Guadalupe River. Some sources indicate that Gum Spring Mill was the original site of the post office that became known after 1857 as Cranes Mill. There is no record of a community center in the area after the 1940s, and since the mid-1960s the site of Gum Spring Mill has been submerged by Canyon Lake.

Oscar Haas, History of New Braunfels and Comal County, Texas, 1844–1946 (Austin: Steck, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Daniel P. Greene, “Gum Spring Mill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gum-spring-mill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Gum Spring
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comal County
Associated Names

-Mill

Crain's Mill