Gum Springs, TX (Harrison County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995

Updated: October 27, 2020


Gum Springs is on Farm Road 968 just east of Longview and eighteen miles southwest of Marshall in the southwestern corner of Harrison County. The community was settled in the 1850s. In 1897 the Gum Springs school served seventy White pupils, and in 1904 the Gum Springs school district had one school for seventy White pupils and two schools serving ninety-six Black pupils. The schools were still operating in the 1930s, but by 1983 Gum Springs comprised only a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Gum Springs, TX (Harrison County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gum-springs-tx-harrison-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995
October 27, 2020

Place
Gum Springs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Associated Names

Gum Spring

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.45987230°
  • Longitude: -94.67659770°