Gus, TX


By: Charles Christopher Jackson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gus is a farming community on the east bank of Yegua Creek near Farm Road 696 some ten miles southwest of Caldwell in far western Burleson County. Settlement in the area began in the late 1830s. The community appears to have formed near the St. John Baptist Church, built in 1877 on the redland prairie in the Yegua creek bottom just north of the Old San Antonio Road. Gus had a post office from 1900 to 1917. From 1933 to 1947, the last year for which statistics were available, the community reported one business and a population of seventy-five. The St. John Baptist Church and the Mount Zion Church were within the township in the mid-1980s.

Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles Christopher Jackson, “Gus, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gus-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Gus
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379872
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Burleson County
Associated Names

Hannes' Gin

Pottersville

Yegua

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.45548520°
  • Longitude: -96.85775820°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009