Gusher, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 7, 2020


Gusher, in southwestern Hardin County forty miles northwest of Beaumont, was on the J. C. Daniel subdivision of the Willis Donohoe league, which was titled in 1835. It was near the Batson and Saratoga oilfields discovered in 1903 and 1901. Apparently hoping to capitalize on the nearby oilfields, Monroe Edge, a resident of Brazos County, bought the land, formerly known as the Batson Railroad townsite, from J. C. Daniel in July 1904. That same year a post office was established at Gusher. Though Gusher town lots appeared on county tax rolls in 1905, 1906, and 1907, most remained unsold. Its post office was discontinued in 1906, and the townsite was gradually abandoned.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Gusher, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gusher-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 7, 2020

Place
Gusher
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hardin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.27681200°
  • Longitude: -94.62179900°