Guyer, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Guyer was at the intersection of two local roads some four miles east and two miles north of what is now Elliott in northern Wilbarger County, about two miles south of the Oklahoma state line. The settlement grew up around a rural school established in 1909 and was named for Henry and Jess Guyer, who owned the school land. Guyer comprised only a school and a church but was known in the region for its annual picnics. In 1927 its school was consolidated with that of Harrold. No sign of Guyer was shown on the 1980 county highway map.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Guyer, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/guyer-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Guyer
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County