Hagerman, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hagerman is on a spur off Farm Road 1417 eight miles northwest of Sherman in north central Grayson County. In the early 1870s settlers came to the community, which became a center for area farmers. It was originally called Steedman, in honor of county judge S. D. Steedman, and its post office, established in 1880, was called Steedman until 1909. When the tracks of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad reached the community in 1909, its name was changed to Hagerman, to honor railroad attorney James Hagerman. The community post office closed sometime after 1930. In the 1930s and 1940s Hagerman's population was reported as 150. Though most of the townsite was submerged under Lake Texoma in 1944, Hagerman is marked on the 1970 county highway map by a church, and, several miles away, a cemetery.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Hagerman, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hagerman-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Hagerman
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1358623
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Grayson County
Associated Names

Deaver

Steedman

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.75454910°
  • Longitude: -96.74388700°