Hagerville, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Hagerville, on Hager Creek near Farm Road 357 sixteen miles southeast of Crockett in southeastern Houston County, was established before 1890 and was named for early settler James M. Hager. It had a post office from 1891 to 1906. By 1892 it had a Baptist church, as well as a school, a blacksmith, a shoemaker, and a general store. Hagerville's population in 1896 was estimated as thirty. By the mid-1930s only a church and a number of scattered houses remained at the site. In the early 1990s Hagerville was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was seventy.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hagerville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hagerville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading