Halbert, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Halbert, sixteen miles southeast of Center in southeastern Shelby County, was founded about 1890 and named for a local family. A post office was established there in 1899 with Theodore Allen as postmaster. It closed in 1907. The community's population was reported at forty from the late 1930s through the early 1960s, the only period for which population estimates were available. The community was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Halbert, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/halbert-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Halbert
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Hurstown

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.69711950°
  • Longitude: -94.02908180°