Halifax, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Halifax, in central Polk County, was an antebellum community (see ANTEBELLUM TEXAS) that served as a trading center for area farmers. It once had a gambling house, a racetrack and stables, a hotel, a saloon, a gristmill, and a blacksmith shop. An old Indian burial ground was located south of the community. John S. Neyland was the community's postmaster; the post office served the area from Midway to Old Hope and operated from 1853 to 1858.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Halifax, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/halifax-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Halifax
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Indian Spring