John Howard Hampton, rancher and journalist, was born in Fort Worth, Texas, on January 16, 1898, the son of Ireland and Marian (Rieger) Hampton. After a year at Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Texas A&M University) and another in the United States Marines, he worked on ranches and raised livestock of his own. In 1921 he worked on the Dallas Morning News, and in 1926 he became editor of the East Texas magazine. Hampton resumed ranching in 1931 near Clarksville. In 1945 he purchased the A. B. Robertson Ranch. About 1950 he acquired part of the old Bell Ranch known as the Fort Bascom Ranch, near Logan, New Mexico. He lived in Lubbock and served as a director of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society and as president of the West Texas Museum Association; he helped establish the Southwest Collection at Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University). Hampton married Valvora Moore in 1929, and they had one child. He died at his New Mexico ranch on June 1, 1967, and was interred in Lubbock.