Hardin, TX (Liberty County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hardin is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 834, forty-eight miles west of Beaumont in east central Liberty County. It grew up after the construction of the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway, when the heirs of the influential Hardin family donated land for a townsite. The plat was filed in August 1907 by W. F. Hardin, a railroad officer, and R. C. Duff, president of the Western Townsite Company. In 1920 the local post office was changed from nearby Walter to Hardin. By that time Hardin had several stores, a cotton gin, a school, and two churches. The population was eighty. In 1935 the Hardin oilfield was discovered west of town. Other deposits were subsequently found in new fields throughout the area, thus sparking further community growth. Residents voted to incorporate their town in 1971. The population, estimated at 200 during the 1930s, reached 779 by 1980. Thirteen businesses served Hardin during the mid-1980s. In 1990 the population was 563, and in 2000 it was 755.

Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Hardin, TX (Liberty County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hardin-tx-liberty-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Hardin
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2410699
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Associated Names

Walter

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.15041730°
  • Longitude: -94.73678400°
Population Counts
People Year
563 1990
755 2000
819 2010
939 2019