Hare, TX

By: Clara Stearns Scarbrough

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995

Hare is on Farm Road 1331 forty-five miles northeast of Austin in eastern Williamson County. The origin of the town's name is disputed. Local folklore maintains that early settler William Caesar, who bought land in the area in the 1880s, said the place was named for the abundant cottontail rabbits in the vicinity. Subscribers to this theory claim that the community was also known by the nickname "Fuzzy." Other sources state that the community was named after a pioneer family whose surname was Hare. Hare's first school was built in 1888, and the Firm Foundation Church was established there the following year. The settlement also had doctors, a music teacher, and a Woodmen of the World lodge, as well as a blacksmith, a drugstore, a grain company, and a slaughterhouse. The Hare post office operated from 1900 to 1904. Lou Ella Miller of nearby Laneport edited the Laneport and Hare News for about two years beginning in 1923. Hare reported a population of fifteen in 1933 and seventy from 1940 through 2000. The Hare school was consolidated with that of Thrall in 1957. In the mid-1980s Hare had a cooperative gin, a general store, and a farm supply and machinery repair shop.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).


  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, “Hare, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 29, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hare-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995