Harp, TX


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Harp, a mile south of Farm Road 416 and fourteen miles northeast of Fairfield in northeastern Freestone County, received a post office in 1899, with William T. Rooney as first postmaster. The community also had a school. Harp's post office closed in 1907, and mail was sent to Winkler. In the 1930s Harp had a cemetery, two churches, a school, and numerous scattered dwellings; by the 1960s it had a church, a cemetery, and a few dwellings. In the late 1980s the church and cemetery still remained at the site.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Harp, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/harp-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Harp
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1337372
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

Goetz

Hagler

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.92821740°
  • Longitude: -96.11913630°