Harpersville, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Harpersville is on Farm Road 1032 a mile northwest of Double Mountain and about eleven miles south of Breckenridge in southwestern Stephens County. It was named for rancher James Riley Harper, who settled in the area in 1876. A post office was established at the site in 1894, with Thomas McLachlan as postmaster; it served the area until 1924, when it was moved to Cisco. There was a gin at the community around 1910. The 1984 county highway map indicated a community center and nearby a Harpersville cemetery west of U.S. Highway 183.

Loy W. Hartsfield, A History of Stephens County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Harpersville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/harpersville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Harpersville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378421
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Stephens County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.60012480°
  • Longitude: -98.93423440°
Population Counts
People Year
5 2009