Harriet, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Harriet (Harriett) is on U.S. Highway 67 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, ten miles northeast of San Angelo in northeastern Tom Green County. A post office was established there in 1909 with Charles P. Lovelace as postmaster. A month later the post office changed its name from Harriet to Harriett and continued to served the area until it was moved to San Angelo in 1927. The community reported a population of twelve and two businesses in 1936, and county maps of the 1950s showed a church and several buildings there. Harriet was shown on the 1984 county highway map with a railroad station and, two miles northeast, a cemetery.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Harriet, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/harriet-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Harriet
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379899
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tom Green County
Associated Names

Harriett

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.54710410°
  • Longitude: -100.31870040°