Abner Harris, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, moved to Texas before 1826 and was the partner of William Barrett. The census of 1826 listed him as a farmer and stock raiser, single and aged between sixteen and twenty-five. On June 4, 1827, he and Barrett received title to a sitio of land now in Fort Bend County. In April 1830 Harris was operating a gin for John Austin. In February 1837 notice of his petition to administer the estate of William Harris appeared with news of the Brazoria probate court, dated January 24, 1837. In April 1845 Harris attended an annexation meeting at Brazoria. He died before January 26, 1850, for on that date the Texas State Gazette (see AUSTIN STATE GAZETTE) reported that in 1848–49 Indians stole seven horses from Abner Harris, deceased.