The Harris and Eliza Kempner Fund, a nonprofit family foundation based in Galveston, was established in 1946 by Kempner family members and named for Eliza (Seinsheimer) and Harris Kempner. Its primary purpose was to provide support for organizations vital to Galveston Island, where family businesses had prospered. Contributions from family corporations and individual family members had increased the value of the fund's corpus from the original $38,500 to about $32 million by the early 1990s. Although the fund's charter did not stipulate any limitations on where grants could be made, grant giving focuses on local efforts to improve health, education, culture, and general welfare in Galveston County. Funds are also annually dedicated to local and national Jewish groups. In addition, various other projects in Texas and across the nation receive grants as funding is available. Descendents of the family continue to contribute their time and money to the fund. Through three advisory committees, about twenty-five members of the family's third and fourth generations make recommendations on giving grants to national organizations. A board of trustees, consisting of both family and nonfamily representatives, administers the fund. Trustees were formerly appointed for life, but in the early 1990s the fund bylaws were amended to provide for nine-year terms for future appointees.