Harrison Chapel, TX


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Harrison Chapel, a church community two miles off Farm Road 489 and four miles southwest of Dew in south central Freestone County, was one of the first communities in the county. It was established in 1850. That year the Harrison Chapel Methodist Church was organized. There was also a cemetery at the community. In 1870 the community's church moved to Dew. At one time Harrison Chapel had a school, which recorded an enrollment of twenty-seven in 1893. During the 1930s the community had only a few scattered dwellings, and by the 1960s only the Harrison Chapel cemetery remained. In 1989 the community was no longer shown on the county highway map.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Harrison Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/harrison-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Harrison Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1374012
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.56517280°
  • Longitude: -96.09996660°