Harwell Point is a small rural community located on Farm Road 1431 on the eastern bank of the Colorado River about fourteen miles southwest of Burnet in southwestern Burnet County. Settlement in the area began in 1853, when James Seaborn Harwell and his wife came to Burnet County from Mississippi. Harwell obtained a land grant, and their homestead on the Colorado River became known as Harwell's Point. The Harwell family played a key role in the early development of the nearby community of Hoover's Valley. Though county highway maps by the early 1900s indicated that the Texas and New Orleans Railway ran through the approximate location of Harwell's Point, no maps showed a settlement with the name of Harwell. By the early 1980s Harwell Point was shown on highway maps. The first population figures were given in 2000, when the community reported eighty-eight residents.