Hasslers, TX

By: Jeanne F. Lively

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995

Hasslers, also known as Rock Crusher, was four miles northwest of Coleman in Coleman County. In 1909 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway began work on its Coleman-Texico cutoff, which gave the railroad a shorter route from California points to Galveston. About four miles northwest of Coleman, on the Bachelor Prong of Hords Creek, a rock crusher was built to process rock for ballasting the bed of the railroad tracks, and around 1910 a settlement known as Rock Crusher grew up around the railroad camp. A general store and later a cotton gin were in the vicinity. The rock crusher operated there only a short time before being moved. In 1916 the Silver Valley, Mount View, and White Chapel schools consolidated to form the Rock Crusher School District No. 20. This district was discontinued in 1917, and each school went back to its original district. In 1936 the Rock Crusher community consisted of a factory complex and a few widely scattered dwellings. Sometime after the mid-1930s Rock Crusher became known as Hasslers. By 1983 the community was no longer shown on the county highway map.

Coleman County Historical Commission, History of Coleman County and Its People (2 vols., San Angelo: Anchor, 1985).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Jeanne F. Lively, “Hasslers, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hasslers-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coleman County
Associated Names

Rock Crusher

  • Latitude: 31.84886000°
  • Longitude: -99.47140800°