Hatchett Ferry, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Hatchett Ferry, also known as David Rusk Ferry, was on the Angelina River just north of the mouth of Atoy Creek in eastern Cherokee County. The crossing was a stopping point for travelers entering Cherokee County from the east. The site, located where the Cherokee Trace crossed the Angelina, was first named for David Rusk, who established a ferry there in the 1840s. When H. G. Hatchett bought the ferry in 1850, he renamed the crossing. In addition to the ferry service, Hatchett also operated an inn at his two-story frame house. The building, used by a succession of ferry operators, remained standing until after World War II. By the early 1990s the site had been abandoned.

Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hatchett Ferry, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hatchett-ferry-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading