Haulk, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Haulk, about two miles from the site of what is now Odell in extreme northwestern Wilbarger County, received a post office in 1902, with Starling C. Kelly as postmaster. This post office was discontinued and moved to Chillicothe in 1907. During the early 1900s the community had a school (established in 1908), a store, and a cotton gin. When the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway bypassed Haulk in 1908, most of the town moved to the new community of Odell, on the railroad. Haulk remained a school district until 1919, when it was enlarged and renamed Haulk Hill. In 1935 the old district was absorbed by the Northside School. Haulk was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Haulk, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/haulk-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Haulk
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Associated Names

Starling