Hawthorn, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Hawthorn (Hawthorne), a farming community off U. S. Highway 287 seven miles southeast of Groveton in southeastern Trinity County, was settled before 1900. A school was in operation there by 1900, and among its early teachers was an H. Hawthorn, after whom the community and school were apparently named. The school was later closed, and by the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hawthorn, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hawthorn-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Hawthorn
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Trinity County
Associated Names

-e

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.04546350°
  • Longitude: -95.01048900°