Hawthorne, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hawthorne, on Farm Road 2778 some sixteen miles southeast of Huntsville in Walker County, was named for the hawthorn bushes that flourished in the area. The community was served by a post office from 1902 to 1919; J. L. Gustine was postmaster in 1914. By 1911 Hawthorne had a school with classes through the seventh grade, and in 1914 the town had a population estimated at twenty-five and a general store, drugstore, and gin. In 1929 the Hawthorne school and two other area schools consolidated with those of nearby New Waverly. Around 1936 Hawthorne had a lodge, a community school, a seasonal industry, two gravel pits, two churches, and numerous dwellings. By the 1940s the community comprised two businesses and a school. A cluster of churches served the surrounding rural area in 1990.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Hawthorne, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hawthorne-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Hawthorne
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379909
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

Wilbourn

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.53464520°
  • Longitude: -95.39521920°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2009