Haysland, a farming community off State Highway 149 some five miles northwest of Carthage in central Panola County, was established in 1885, when the Texas, Sabine Valley and Northwestern Railway was built from Longview to Carthage. The community was named for John W. Hays, its first postmaster, and J. R. Hays, owner of a local general store. The Haysland post office was established in 1888. By 1891 the settlement had the post office, a depot, a physician, a general store, a sawmill, and a number of houses. Its post office closed in 1905, and the mail was sent to Carthage. By the mid-1930s only the depot and a number of scattered houses remained at the site. After World War II most of the remaining residents moved away. The community was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.