Hebron, twenty-one miles southeast of Denton in southeast Denton County, was founded in the vicinity of the old Bridges Settlement of 1843. It was named for the Biblical town of Hebron. By 1890 the community had a post office. In 1902 the Red River, Texas and Southern (now Burlington Northern) Railway built through the town. At one time Hebron had three cotton gins. It was incorporated briefly in the mid-1960s, but it was not permanently incorporated until the mid-1970s. Economic development between Dallas and Denton spurred the population in Hebron to 486 in 1975. In 1980 the population was 385. The aggressive annexation policies pursued by Carrollton and Plano placed limits on the ability of Hebron to expand geographically. In 1990 the population was 1,128, and in 2000 it was 874.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
David Minor, “Hebron, TX (Denton County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hebron-tx-denton-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.