Hebron, TX (DeWitt County)


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hebron was near Farm Road 682 and Bear Creek some fourteen miles southeast of Yoakum in southeastern DeWitt County. The community center consisted of the Hebron Baptist Church, the first Baptist church in the county, established under pastor Wade Holland in 1855, and the Hebron school, which operated from 1856 to about 1888, when it merged with the Bear Creek school. Thereafter the communities of Hebron and Bear Creek were closely associated. The earliest grave in the Hebron Cemetery dates from 1867. The community's church was still active in 1961 and had records available dating from its founding, but by 1984 only the cemetery appeared on the county highway map. As late as 2004 former residents still gathered at the Hebron Cemetery from all over the state on the first Sunday in May for an annual reunion.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Hebron, TX (DeWitt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hebron-tx-dewitt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Hebron
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377559
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.15830800°
  • Longitude: -97.04276320°