Heckville, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Heckville is on Farm Road 400 seven miles north of Idalou in northeastern Lubbock County. At one time it was also on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway. Although the community never reported a population of more than twenty, its businesses during the 1940s and 1950s included a gas station, a cafe, a general store, and a blacksmith shop. The community was named for Henry Heck, who built a gin there around 1948. Heckville's estimated population was eight in the 1980s, and around that time the community had two active businesses: the Heckville gin and an egg farm.

Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Heckville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/heckville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Heckville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379917
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lubbock County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.75480500°
  • Longitude: -101.66516580°
Population Counts
People Year
91 2009