Heinzeville, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Heinzeville, just west of State Highway 119 and seven miles south of Yorktown in western DeWitt County, was in an area dominated by German settlement. The community center was the school, which was organized in 1888 and named for Fritz Heinze, on whose land it was built. In the 1890s Lutheran church services were held in the school building, and nearby were several businesses, including a store, blacksmith, and syrup mill. A two-room school was built there in 1932; it operated until 1950. The 1936 county highway map gives the community name as Hainzeville. The community was not named on the 1965 county highway map.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Heinzeville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/heinzeville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Heinzeville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Associated Names

Hainzville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.88837900°
  • Longitude: -97.48381600°