Hester, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hester, on the Chatfield road five miles northeast of Corsicana in extreme northeastern Navarro County, was settled in the early 1850s. A post office, named for Corsicana resident Tom Hester, opened there in 1890 but was discontinued in 1903. At its height around 1900 Hester had a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. In 1915 its population was reported at twenty-five. During the mid-1930s Hester had two stores and a number of houses. Its population in 1948 was estimated at fifty. By the mid-1960s, however, the community was no longer shown on highway maps, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In 2000 the population was thirty-five.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hester, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hester-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading